Central University of Rajasthan have started Department of Sports Biomechanics under School of Sports Sciences CURAJ-MYAS funded by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports (MYAS). The department is offering one M.Sc Program in Sports Biomechanics for those students who are enthusiastic and interested in making a career in sports bioengineering and mechanical aspects of sports person/athelete, physical activity and human biology. This course covers the area of study where the knowledge and methods of mechanics are applied to the structure and function of the human body.
M.Sc. Sports Biomechanics
(a) Name of the Program: M.Sc. Sports Biomechanics
(b) Objectives of the program:
- M.Sc. program in Sports Biomechanics focuses on the science concerned with the analysis of human movement through simulation and measurement.
- This program aims to have a better understanding of human performance in sports activities, also to improve field performance, and to minimize injury.
- This program intends to attract talents willing to excel in their career as sports biomechanics practitioners or analysts those looking to extend their knowledge in higher-level academics and research.
- This program intends to teach principles and concepts involved in sports biomechanics to align the students in several aspects like gait analysis, mechanics of bone, muscle and tendon, ligaments, etc., injury prevention and rehabilitation.
- Students in this program will be taught various methods of experimental data collection (force plates platforms, electromyography, grip and back dynamometers, neuromuscular imaging) and interpretation (motion analysis and 3D modelling software, MATLAB, etc.) to provide a collective solution to human motion analysis based on theoretical and empirical approach in sports biomechanics.
- Students will also be using field data of games and sports for their simulation works together with the data obtained from the questionnaire developed by the help of the faculties for improving sports performances.
- The teaching and learning process in this program will be carried out by motivated teachers and researchers having the cutting edge knowledge of research, especially in Sports biomechanics.
- This program will deal with sports biomechanics in specific and will also be trained in biochemical, nutritional, physiological and psychological aspects of sports in broad spectrum in addition to yoga and recreational activities for enhancing the fitness and sporting performance in sports.
- The students pursuing this program will have the opportunities to be involved in research work (during their dissertation) and internship (post completion of Master’s program) in collaboration with peripheral sports academies and centers under Sports Authority of India (SAI) and Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports (MYAS).
- The students completing this program will have the opportunity to make their career ahead in both academia or research organization in the field of Sports Biomechanics along with Industries dealing with sports products, sports equipment’s and physiotherapy units focusing on sports/games.
- The students will also have a possibility to carry out one- year internship program after successful completion of the Master’s program in any centers of SAI, Khelo India, Sports federation etc. under the MYAS, Govt. of India.
(c) Intake and eligibility:
- Approved Intake: 30 Students
- Minimum Eligibility for entry: Bachelors’ Degree in any branch of Science /Life Sciences/Bio- Physics/ Engineering or any other examination recognized equivalent to or higher degree, any medical (MBBS, BDS, BAMS) BPT/Allied Medical Sciences degree with 50% marks or equivalent grade in aggregate for General category and 45% or equivalent grade for SC/ST/OBC/PWD candidates.
Assistant Professor and Coordinator
• Master in Psychology (Specialization in Sports Psychology), Panjab University, Chandigarh (Gold Medalist) • Ph.D. Psychology (Sports Psychology), Panjab University, Chandigarh • Assistant Professor, Dept. of Psychology, JAIN (Deemed to be University),
Ph.D. (Biosciences and Biomedical Engineering), Indian Institute of Technology Indore. • M.Tech. (Nanotechnology), Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee. • B.Tech. (Biotechnology), Vaagdevi College of Engineering, JNTU Hyderabad.
The department is in the process of establishing a well-equipped laboratory to carry out research in the area of Sports Biomechanics along with a Computer laboratory. Various Models, Charts and Instruments have been procured in the labs:
- Full articulated Skeleton
- Torso with Head and Interchangeable Male and Female Genitals
- Vertebral Column with Stand
- Anatomical Model of Heart, Stomach, Liver, Ear, Eye, Brain, Kidney
- Functional human joint models
- Disarticulated Human Bones
- Charts on all the systems of the body : Respiratory system, Circulatory System, Muscular System, Skeletal System, Nervous System, Reproductive System, Lymphatic System, Endocrine System, etc.
- Anthropometric Rods
- Digital Stadiometer
- Manual Stadiometer
- Digital Skin fold Callipers
- Sit and Reach Box
- Digital Glucometer
- Digital Cholesterol Analyser
- Finger Pulse Oximeter
- Digital Metronomes
- Digital Weighing Scale
- Girth Measuring Tapes