The Department of English was established in 2010 under the School of Humanities & Languages with Post-Graduation in English Literature (Four Semesters) and PhD in both, literature and language. Papers like English Language Teaching (ELT), writing and Editing for Media, Creative Writing, Contemporary Critical Theory, Film Studies, Script Writing for Films, and Life Writing, taught in the Masters program make the Department distinct. The aim of our Department is to promote intellectual and critical thinking among students, and inculcating professionalism with humanitarian attitude, through teaching and training of English literature, language, and genre studies. The department’s objective is to provide an environment for holistic development of the students.
M. A. English
Year of Introduction: 2010
Objectives of the program:
This postgraduate program covers a wide range of courses in diverse areas with the following objectives in mind:
- to impart essential knowledge of literary forms, movements and trends in contemporary theory and interdisciplinary extensions.
- to train the students to use their expertise for careers in journalism, translation, translation for newspaper syndics, performative art and film criticism, publishing, scriptwriting and for academic careers in English, Comparative Literature and Cultural Studies Departments/ Centres.
- to equip students for higher specialization in the above mentioned areas.
- to facilitate professional career in creative writing.
- to equip students for research in interdisciplinary areas such as tribal, diasporic, cultural, historical and anthropological fields.
- to sensitize students towards contemporary areas of conflict and human rights.
- Candidates with 50% marks in the qualifying examination (graduation or its equivalent as credited by the University) are eligible for appearing for the Entrance Examinations. 5% concession is applicable to reserved categories in the eligibility norms.
Doctor of Philosophy
Year of Introduction: 2012
Objectives of the Program:
Ph. D. program in English aims to impart:
- domain knowledge in the subject English (Language/ Literature) to develop research acumen of the highest standard.
- analytical, interpretive and critical skill to expand the knowledge in the specialized area of English study and/or inter related disciplines.
- skill to deliberate, discuss and write research observations, deductions & findings in the form of presentation & publication.
- higher specialization to develop original knowledge and contribute to already existing intellectual and critical understanding.
- skills to apply acquired knowledge and theoretical understanding to serve society in various capacities & roles as a professional.
- A consistently good academic record processing a Master’s Degree in the subject concerned or in a cognate/allied subject with minimum of 55% marks or equivalent grade from a recognized University at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels: 5% relaxation in minimum requirement of marks is granted to SC/ST/OBC/PWD/EWS candidates.
- The Department has a Language lab with a capacity of 24 students. Each student is provided with a separate PC. There is one Master computer to administer all the systems. Each computer has language software (CLARITY, SANACO) installed to enhance the writing and speaking skills of the user.